Located in the stunning alps of the South Island in New Zealand, visitors from around the world are drawn to the Wanaka region by its outstanding natural beauty. Wanaka’s lakes and mountains and proximity to Mt Aspiring National Park, makes it the ultimate base for outdoor activities, particularly skiing and snowboarding in winter.
But it’s not just the outdoor enthusiasts who have plenty to do, stroll the streets and be inspired by galleries, stylish shops and be spoilt for choice with a great selection of cool cafes and restaurants.
A short, 30 minute drive will have you at Cardrona Alpine Resort or Treble Cone Ski Area, the two nearest ski areas to Wanaka. Each resort is unique and offers a very different experience. As of February 2020, Cardrona and Treble Cone are now owned by the same parent company. This is great news for skiers and snowboarders as lift tickets will now be valid at both mountains, plus Treble Cone will see some much needed investment in a lot of areas such as snowmaking, ensuring it has the ideal base in early season if Mother Nature isn't co-operating!
Why Ski Cardrona?
- The Chondola! A 'combined' express lift of 8-person gondola cabins & 6-seater chairs. Suitable for beginner through advanced riders as well as sightseers..
- Learners paradise –don't spend your first day stuck at the bottom of the slopes! No need to stress about hopping on and off the chair, take a ride in the new Chondola cabins to the top and experience an easy green run right back to base.
- Parks- The southern hemisphere's most extensive terrain park facilities with 2 halfpipes, an 800m Gravity X course, 4 distinct terrain parks and the 85+ ft Big Air
Why Ski Treble Cone?
- It's Big The South Island's largest ski area at 550ha and the longer vertical of 700m.
- Legendary Off-Piste Terrain –Challenge yourself in some of the most revered snowboard and ski terrain in New Zealand. Loaded with chutes, bowls and gullies, whatever your off-piste taste, you will find your snow fix at Treble Cone.
- Uncrowded Groomed Runs- Wide open space for you to master your turns